August 02, 2015

Women We Love: Delightful Deborah

The  Magnificent Deborah Brooks

I thought it only appropriate to begin a new Den series by setting a high bar. Meet Deborah Brooks. She's the co-founder of the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research. Attentive Den readers across six continents (and counting) may recall a post on my favorite movie experience: The English Patient with two charming ladies I'd only known a couple of months. Deborah was one of those charming ladies. Our great mutual friend "Loveable Linda" was the other charmer.

Delightful Deborah (on right) vamping at a MJF Foundation fundraiser.


Our Mrs. Brooks is one of the most extraordinary people I've ever met and hers is a story that must be told.  The Den's modus operandi is to tell these stories of wonderful people (especially women) that are smart, talented, stand for all the right things, make good things happen, and offer a shining example of a well-lived life. Unbeknownst to Delightful Deborah, she also offered a painful reminder that if a man has the capacity to do great things then he should do great things.

My Favorite Movie experience of all time remains seeing The English Patient
with Delightful Deborah and Loveable Linda.


Prior to revolutionizing the philanthropic community, Deborah was a star at Goldman Sachs for 9 years but knew the demands of that lifestyle would never allow her to achieve what was far more important than material wealth. She left Goldman Sachs to return to graduate school, got a 2nd master's degree and entered the non-profit world. She was on the cusp of her late 30s and desired to get married and have children. She had an unusual upbringing with an absentee father and bohemian mother and I gathered she felt like the only grown-up in the family even as a young girl. She wanted to provide a loving stable home to children and marry a man who would be a devoted husband and father.

Soon after we saw The English Patient, we had a standing 'date' that we'd go see a movie together on Sunday afternoons-just the two of us. I vividly recall that I was starting to fall for Deborah and there was this moment when we were watching a charming little movie she picked, Love Jones, and the time was coming when I either was going to act on my romantic inclinations or forever hold my peace. During the movie, our shoulders touched creating a frisson of excitement and moment of truth that had my mind racing. I quickly did a self-assessment that could only lead to the painful conclusion that I was unworthy of such a wonderful woman and my duty should be to make sure a piece of garbage like me never wastes her time. With my shoulder making a shame-faced retreat, I resolved to help Deborah find someone worthy.

Moment of truth. Charming little movie during which GSL came to a painful realization.


Deborah later moved to Boston to run the Harvard Eating Disorders Clinic and we talked regularly by phone and she always told me of the new men in her life and wanted to hear my perspective. After a couple of years of meeting men that weren't quite what she was looking for, she phoned to tell me of this new guy she kind of liked. She called back after she had a wonderful day with him on a clam dig and wanted my perspective. After several minutes of penetrating GSL cross-exam, I told her: "He's The One Delightful Deborah! No guy is going to kill a day clam-digging with a gal if he's not dead serious."

He was The One. He's still The One. Mr & Mrs. Brooks soon thereafter got married. After a couple of years of trying to have children of their own, they adopted two beautiful sisters and have provided a stable, loving home and perform the highest calling there is...to nurture and instruct young children.

The day Goldman Sachs went public was a huge business story as it was the largest IPO in history. Partners would net at least $100 million each. From everybody I've talked to at Goldman Sachs, Deborah was certainly on a Partner track. We shared a giggle over what she walked away from but I think she made the deal of a lifetime.

I ended that phone call just like I always do by saying "Some day Deborah, I'm going to make you proud of me..."

That day has finally drawn near.

Happy Birthday Deborah!!!

14 comments:

  1. I certainly agree to some points that you have discussed on this post. I appreciate that you have shared some reliable tips on this review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord, it doesn't take much to get you going! If simply touching shoulders with someone is enough to create a 'frisson of excitement' I'd hate to see the lump of jelly you'd be after a chaste peck on the cheek. However, I would like to congratulate your perspicacity re your own character assessment. If your children's book series isn't successful I think you should turn your hand to Barbara Cartland style romances, then you can quiver and shiver girlishly to your little heart's content. Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Claire I know that little shoulder smooch isn't exactly bodice ripper fare is it. Now how long has it been since you were eligible to deliver a chaste peck? I'm thinking well before the go-go '80s.
      Perspicacity has always been a Specialty of the House around here and I've historically judged myself rather harshly on where I am and where I feel I'm going. That has recently changed. Character assessment has many dimensions with first and foremost: "Who and What do you stand for" and how far are you willing to go to fight for it.

      People I've become close friends with, such as Deborah, score very highly in this area or we don't become close friends. I've become a better person for having such high character friends.

      I look forward to the day we cross paths Beguiling Claire as I want to see how your little quips are delivered face to face before my rejoinders have you demonstrating how to quiver and shiver girlishly.

      Delete
  3. Oh I imagine (should we ever meet) that you'll glance coyly in my direction and then blush coquettishly as your heart beats frantically ( like a caged bird!) and you collapse in a puddle of raging teenage hormones at my feet. I can't wait. If we're going to be 'face to face' I'll need to kick off those heels you like so much or you'll be nestling your chin on my bosom. And I don't know if I'm ready for that next step yet. Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dear Claire,
      The only things you got right was you're not ready. Wear whatever you feel most confident in but soon after we meet you'll at least feel the urge to slip into a pair of FMPs.

      Delete
  4. I think I'll be slipping into a pair of FYPs. I don't need shoes to feel confident. Are there any sparkly Cuban heels lurking in your wardrobe? Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire,
      GSL is no Rhinestone Comboy; only his easy charm and rapier wit sparkles. All your tough talk of confidence and my collapsing in puddles is just "whistlin' past the graveyard".

      Delete
  5. well, not sure I should interrupt your conversation with Claire, as it's getting fairly heated. But of course Deborah is right - money isn't everything, and it sounds like she made the perfect choice by getting out of the soulless grind of Goldman's money machine.
    I'm late to catching up on blog posts, so congratulations on the book nearing completion too - it's all very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi,
      You've always struck me as someone who has their priorities arranged. The book series has finally come together; completing final revision tomorrow. My illustrator is fab and will be given a warm Den intro soon...with characters following

      Delete
  6. Hello GSL,

    Back from my blogging break and catching up with my favorite blogs. Such a nice story about Deborah, and what could have been at GS. I think she made the right choices though, and those girls are lucky to have her.

    Congrats on the book series. It seems like it is finally coming together at lightening speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dear CD,
      Deborahs daughters are wonderful examples of what choosing the right path can begin. They are both joys to behold and I got the sense that mother and daughters felt lucky. A pic I took during our most recent meeting holds a place of honor eye level on my fridge.
      You very quickly became a Den Fav with your '1820s sensibilities' and introducing us to peculiar yet interesting forays into hair art and frankenstein trees...we even found your unconvincing defense of that George Washington atrocity charming.

      Delete
    2. ...typing from phone with autocorrect....should be "can bring" not "begin"

      Delete
  7. What an excellent woman. Leaving Investment Banking for not for profit and family is always is good decision (although I'm slightly biased here!) I love these profiles. How fun that you got to know her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,
      I thought you'd see somr parallels and you 2 are likely from the same haplogroup.What impressed me immediately about Deborah was how at ease, and even invigorated, she was around men with strong personalities. They are always the ones that do well in business.

      Delete