July 22, 2014

Acknowledgements (Part III of III)

The Muse

The Muse, out on the heath


My final acknowledgement will simply be referred to as The Muse.  Her official designation in The Den is Mascot of the Muses to represent the many Muses that came before her and, to my mind, have gone largely under-appreciated.  The Den will be on a crusade to elevate the Muse to her rightful place as a driving force behind great works of Art.  As an ambitious man who wishes his Muse to receive her just due, it will be highly motivating to produce something of high artistic merit so I and others can toast my Muse for showing the way.  Muses either by their own design or by some other mystical force nudge artists thru their often disordered life towards the beauty they can see, hear, and feel but can't quite get to without help.




The Muse departing hotel lobby to hunt wild boar in Sardinia


The Muse first came to my attention when I spotted her witty comments on another blog and that combined with her intriguing name and eye-catching avatar prompted more research.  As I combed thru the archives of her blog, I knew I'd discovered a fascinating personality with a sharp wit, a similar sensibility, and we were also the same age.  From then on, I eagerly awaited each new post to see what was on my dear Muse's mind.  Then one day nearly 2 years ago it happened. A hot off the press post had a pic of the young and precocious  Muse around age 6 that showed all the spirit and personality I had come to know distilled in a little girl.  It just so happened, I was in the process of developing a children's book series based on my boyhood adventures around the time I was 6 years old.  The timing couldn't have been better as I was trying to fight off the black dog and miraculously something appeared to give my little project renewed hope and purpose.  While I had about 8 story lines to begin the series with, my motivation was now fueled by getting the project to a 2nd phase that will include a girl based on The Muse at age 6.  I even had hopes of one day enlisting The Muse to have some kind of collaborative or artistic adviser role.  With the discovery of that young girl and everything it helped ignite, my children's book series had new life and now I had a way of thanking my dear Muse for being the special person who facilitated all this good fortune.

I always work backwards from a vision.  To pay homage to The Muse, I wished to directly connect her to the most beautiful sights and sounds imaginable.  I'll bet more than a few of you would agree that the most beautiful sound in the world is of a child laughing and that there is no more beautiful sight than the look on a mother's face when she hears her child laughing.  My vision was that one day The Muse was going to be walking through a park, airport, or lobby and overhear peals of laughter from a little 6 year old girl as she and her Mum read aloud and share a children's book that stars a character based on The Muse that she helped write about an amusing incident from her childhood.  I envisioned The Muse furtively slinking closer to see that mother's face as she hears her daughter giggling.

~GSL



36 comments:

  1. I have been waiting for this tribute! Perhaps you were twins separated at birth...best check the DNA! Dr. G and I can lend a hand if need be! So I will raise a glass of bubbly to you, dear G,and The Muse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Trudye! I just hope The Muse doesn't have fratricide on her mind just now. She loathes any sort of attention so veiled it best I could while still doing her justice.

      Delete
    2. Hide in plain sight,G! Seriously doubt the lack of attention bit...so I think you are safe!

      Delete
  2. GSL!!! You're here! I kept on checking your site - how did I miss the inaugural post? and now you are really entrenched in the blogosphere (well even more than you were already). How does it feel? and thanks for putting me on your sideway. I'm going to add you to mine when the tech bloke (e.e Harley) comes home from work.

    Beautifully written about the muse and the time I was in Sardinia I would have loved to have been striding around like a caramel-suede clad avatar. Instead we were on a beach in a hotel which we thought was luxurious but actually was based on a caste system and we were bottom of the barrel with someone from Eastenders (the show) She was the whiney Scottish one and was later cut but was nice (actually quite whiney) in real life.

    Re the muses - Isn't it amazing what small thing can inspire you? Whenever I'm stuck it's something weird and I do get inspired by my writing tutor, but as you've said before (and I've just watched a video on this) it's not good to have fellow classmates critique you stuff - as they say on the video, it's the blind leading the far sighted.


    I seem to have a lot to say...going to scroll down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you made it Jody! The Den in some ways will in some ways resemble your charming ALW....I may have to enlist Talluleh's keen eye from time to time on a fashion matter.

      Delete
    2. Yes! She is actioning me some good tops from Top Shop as we speak

      Delete
  3. I mean sidebar or whatever that thing on the side is called...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha - I know the photo must be the one of The Muse in full "Ta-Da" pose with outstretched arms. I have often laughed at your witty banter in the comments of others blog posts. The series of books sounds very intriguing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi; I think you're going to like The Den.

      Delete
  5. Dear GSL, I doubt that anyone who can post a selfie of themselves in a white swimsuit 'loathes any sort of attention' ! So I think you are safe and that she will appreciate your warm admiration. I had no idea that you were such a creative soul. I love your confidence and also your collaborative spirit. Good luck with all your literary pursuits. Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome my dear Claire and again my apologies for the late curtain. More surprises will follow. Would you by any chance know Sadie Harris? I haven't heard from her in a while and am most eager to catch up.

      Delete
  6. Welcome! I missed your debut in the chaos of travel but will watch this space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen,
      Serena was here opening night holding court with her usual crowd. She had Pierre on a short leash.

      Delete
  7. Lovely piece on your muse!
    I've just added you to my blog reading list, I'm really enjoying your writing GSL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dani and do tell Young Rascal The Lion's Den needs a travel correspondent..

      Delete
  8. The unending value of talent and creativity lies not only in their expression but in their potent ability to inspire others. It is a integral part of artistic endeavor that we share it in some measure, thereby ensuring that inspiration continues to spread, like ripples in a pond.
    I have immense gratitude for the writers that inspired me to string my words together in a public forum- even if I never manage to make ripples of my own I have gained a type of gratification and piece of mind that I would not have enjoyed otherwise.
    There is one blogger whose writing I enjoyed so much that I simply had to write her an email to thank her. The warm response I received included the suggestion that I write a blog of my own and now I think of her every time I write. So I am grateful to her and to you, GSL, for the heartfelt encouragement that you lavish upon us all
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be making far more than ripples on small ponds my dear Bebe!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful tribute. Your writing is as smooth as a glass of fine Bourbon. I found her in a similar way...following a trail of witty comments. She is also one of the most caring, kind people I've had the good fortune to meet in this blogosphere. A truly compassionate and supportive friend. Her rapier wit is only surpassed by her beauty.
    xo~J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are we talking about Tabitha of Bourbon and Pearls fame here? Inquiring minds would love to know.
    Am loving your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Anon but please tell me if you really thought you could tippy toe in here off the street cloaked in anonymity and skip out the door with the state secrets. This is The Lion's Den sweetheart not high school study hall.

      Delete
    2. Perfection GSL. I love it here.
      xo~J

      Delete
    3. Jennifer, hope the toe has healed. I could use a few tech pointers myself!

      Delete
  11. Love the new blog! So well written and cheeky!!!!

    I predict many will be trapped in here! and all for the good! Sorry I missed the inaugural posts but have gone back to read and they are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Wendy! I do hope you'll also pitch in a bit of cheek from time to time!

      Delete
  12. Hello GSL, I also missed your first posts, but came here via Dani's blog, so all's well - I'll make sure I don't miss any more.
    I'm pretty sure I know who your muse is - the white swimsuit gave it away. You are spot on too with your paeans to the Hattatts and Jennifer. I also enjoy your comments on Cynthia's blog. Congratulations on finally (finally!) opening the Den!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Patricia and thank you for those kind words.

      Delete
  13. G,
    You have made my day! Alice and I have just gobbled up all that you have written with huge smiles on our faces. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lion's Den will always aspire to put a huge smile on the faces of our dear Cynthia & Alice! We have treats for Chase too!

      Delete
  14. Darling G,

    A fitting tribute indeed.

    Your Muse is by any measure a star of Blogtopia. Her writing is witty, spare and intelligent, her eye is keen and cultured, her heart is, we suspect, warm and generous and she is a radiant beauty. A perfect companion in the Lion's Den if she can be lured inside.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlings J & L,
      You are the acknowledged masters of this realm (and l suspect others) and have beautifully expressed what I felt yet lacked your lyrical grace to say with such lucid elegance. I'll continue to watch, listen, and learn from your fine example. Another debt I owe The Muse is for introducing me to you two!

      Delete
  15. Ah, you do have many strings to your bow...
    Tabs will be suitably impressed with your choice of H boar hunting gear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear GSL
    If the muse I know is the muse you know then together we know one helluva muse…

    ReplyDelete